Katy Perry Explains the Evils of For-Profit Colleges in 11 GIFs
While she’s performing at the University of Phoenix Stadium for the Superbowl Halftime show, don’t forget these things.
1. Remember when your American teenage dream was to attend college in pursuit of that dream job?
2. Eagerly anticipating those Friday nights unwinding after a week of busy classes.
3. Then you saw a for-profit college advertising that you could achieve your career goals at their school, because they say you’re a firework and their degrees will let you shine.
4. They have the degree you want so you request more information, but all of a sudden they’re coming atcha like a dark horse.
5. Turns out these schools intentionally target minorities, low-income communities, and veterans, all the while promising that if they come to their school, it’ll be like their birthday every day.
6. You enroll for classes anyway and eventually get your degree! Looks like you’re the one that got away, since most people never actually graduate from a for-profit school once they enroll.
7. You thought your application would be hot with your new degree, but it turned out to be cold since employers didn’t value it. You thought they’d say yes, but then they said no!
8. So you have a new degree in hand, no job, and thousands of dollars in debt. You feel like you just woke up in Vegas…so confused about what just happened and unsure of what to do.
9. Luckily, there’s hope. Cal-i-for-nia gurl, State Attorney General Kamala Harris, is suing colleges like these for false and predatory advertising, intentionally misleading students, and securities fraud.
10. More and more student and graduate activists are standing up to these predatory for-profit schools, and they’re starting to hear us roar.
11. For-profits, beware: if we ever meet again, we won’t let you get away with your tricks and lies.